The plank is an exercise everyone could be performing when trying to develop a stronger core. It requires minimal movement and can be progressed easily by adjusting the set up slightly.
- Start by lying flat on the floor
- Place your elbows underneath your shoulders and push your torso up, so your weight is being held on your elbows.
- Fully extend your legs, place your feet hip width apart and lift your knees off the floor so your weight is now distributed between your elbows and the balls of your feet.
- Ensure your neck, shoulders, hips and legs are creating a straight line and that your hips are dropped down or lifted too high.
- Squeeze your glutes together and suck your belly button in and hold for X amount of time.
During the plank, focus on controlling your breathing and ensuring that you are not holding your breathe. If you struggle with this version of the plank, start on your elbows and knees opposed to your toes, and gradually work the knees away from your body until you feel more comfortable in a full plank position.